A while ago I read an article that spoke about the rising instance of narcissistic personality disorder (NPD) and the trappings of modern society that are fueling this.
They coined it quite well, I thought, when they called it the i-generation!
It made me think of some (both half-formed and well-formed) opinions and ideas I have about social media, youth, and the rise of pop-stars-as-heroes… I could write a whole book about this stuff, but the point of this post is simply to make you start to think and question for yourselves.
Some key points:
- The rise of Facebook, twitter, tumblr, Instagram et all..
- The constant need to post images & narrative of our lives..
- The rise of the ‘cult of celebrity’..
- Young people growing up listening to music that calls women ‘bitches’ and preaches the gospel of greed/ take it all/ have it all…
- Young people subjected to a definition of success as outlined by advertising and the media..
- Teachers and mentors too afraid (needing to conform/ be PC) to speak up and guide young people, and parents blind to the behavior of their ‘little angels’..
…well, you get the picture. And it’s a big topic (one I’ll surely write about again) but this article did make me think.. and I hope it does that for you too. They summed it up nicely at the end when they said:
“In the meantime perhaps we can stop seeing celebrities as role models, take a break from Facebook and give our egos a well-deserved rest”
Link to full article here.